The Life of an Artist

Sunday, October 26, 2008

One of the classes I am taking this semester is called "Professional Practices in Studio Arts." The purpose of this class is supposed to prepare us for our careers as artist and to learn the ins and outs of the art world. However, it has been a class that has been very challenging on a lot of different levels. My professor, who shall remained unnamed, is very critical. Period. He does not voice a lot of enthusiasm for us and tells us we have to be motivated to make it as an artist. This I agree with him on; however, he underestimates the amount of self motivation within the class. In doing so, he is causing the reverse to happen and my classmates and I feel we have reached a point where we just can't take anymore. He is quite a negative person and the ironic thing about this is that he is a priest. 


For some of the classes, my professor has some artist or industry professional come in and talk to us about their career and how they have become successful. This past week we had an artist, Michael Moon, come speak to us. One of the first things he said was that we have been blessed with the gift of art making. His whole spirit was uplifting and a breath of fresh air within a class that is full of negative criticisms. He asked us why we chose art as our path. He said that we should not give up on this career because it is a career that if full of subjectivity and risk. One of the most important things Michael said was we needed to create our work for ourselves. Then, and only then, were we going to be happy with our work and with our careers. The best work always happens when we create for ourselves. 

I found this simple, yet so profound. This is something so easily forgotten when you are dealing with curators and dealers and your audience. Those are the people that are helping to advance your career and help to provide a living. However, it is most important that the artist doesn't get lost within his own work. 

When I look beyond the walls of LMU and think of my career, I am still uncertain of what I want to see happen. I know I want to do what I love. I do not want to work a job where I am unhappy and that lacks meaning and purpose. I know it must be creative. I know the work I create must be something I get up every morning excited about doing. God created work so our lives would have meaning and purpose. Are we not short changing ourselves if we allow ourselves to work for work's sake? For only a paycheck? I know in my heart that God has lead me to LMU for a reason and I am trusting him to lead me and inspire me to a career that is meaningful and purposeful. 

1 comments:

Billy and Brenda Williams said...

GREAT post!

I remember one of the professors at school giving us some very sobering statistics about people who get fine art degrees. Of course the more specialized the degree the more the statistics are bent in your favor. Here is what he said... only 10 people out of 100 who graduate with a BFA will ever do art again after graduation, and of those 10 only 1 will ever make a living doing it. Now, of course, if your degree is in a more specific art field like photography, graphic design, film making the statistics are different and many people make very good livings in these and other related fields.

The main reason for people not continuing to pursue their art is not having a studio and because they can't make any money at it. Both lame excuses. You have created some very beautiful images at my dining room table on art night, it is far from being a studio, and we all created because it was fun and is something God put in our souls.

I love the fact that you are taking a stand for your art and desire to create in this post...bravo! Create for yourself, others will enjoy it more because it is from a very pure place. Don't let some crotchety old man tell you different.

Create because you are created.