Grocery Shopping Victory!

Friday, January 7, 2011

With the hubby at work and a pending "you're going to get it Asheville" snow storm on the way in a few days I decided I needed to head to the store to grab this week's menu items. I am using www.e-mealz.com for my weekly dinners. It is a service that costs $15 for three months and I receive a weekly menu with five dinners, a pre-made shopping list of all the ingredients and directions for all the meals. There are many different plans from which to choose and we use the Wal-Mart plan for 2. The list of ingredients is broken down by category such as dairy, produce, boxed, etc which makes shopping that much easier.

I decided that I would take my list and go to Aldi's to get what I could there first and then get the remaining food at Wal-Mart.

Here is what I bought at Aldi:

Pkg of 3 tomatoes: $1.69
Bag of frozen peas: $0.88
Broccoli: $1.49
Refrig. Pie Crust: $1.89
Kielbasa Sausage: $2.49
Pasta Sauce: $1.79
Bag of Kettle Chips: $1.99
A dozen eggs: $1.29
Gallon of Milk: $2.39
Honey Wheat Bread: $1.19
Hoagie Rolls: $1.69

Total with tax: $19.17

My purchases at Wal-Mart:

Box of fruit popsicles: $1.25
Box of chocolate popsicles: $1.25
Box of Triscuits: $1.98
Bag of frozen okra: $1.50
Bag of shredded cheddar cheese: $1.86
Cornbread mix: $0.54
Can of chicken broth: $0.72
4 cups of Yoplait yogurt: $0.50 each
3 cups of Bryers yogurt: $0.54 each
Container of shredded parmesan cheese: $2.18
Can of diced tomatoes: $0.63
Can of crab meat: $1.63
Chicken gravy: $0.72
Whipping Cream: $1.68
1 Granny Smith Apple: $0.96
1 Yellow Onion: $0.76
2 Navel Oranges: $0.66

Total with tax: $22.38

Total of both purchases: $41.55 Yea!

Here is a photo of all the food:


This is for all dinners for the next week, lunches and snacks. Before I went to the store I checked the list and crossed off all the items we already had on hand or left over from last week. I also took inventory of all the lunch items we had and planned my purchases accordingly.

As for breakfast, I usually make chocolate milk and eat a piece of fruit. I also have oats to make oatmeal, grits and bread to make toast. If we have cereal I eat that instead of the milk and fruit, but without a coupon cereal is pretty expensive so I skipped it this week.

I am so very pleased with today's purchases. I think I will continue this system for my future shopping adventures.

Have you had any financial wins lately? I would live to hear!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love ALDI! It is really great!

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Audrey. I used to shop at Aldi's but someone in my family is suspicious of anything that isn't a name brand so I stopped going there. :) Their produce really is a bargain and is fresh. I need to get myself back in the Aldi's habit.