Clearance at Walgreens

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I happened to stop into Walgreens tonight. I forgot to pick up a Sunday paper and thought maybe they would have some left over. They didn't, but I decided to walk around the store anyway. I found that there were several items on clearance in the personal care aisles. (Look for the orange tags.) I decided to write down what I found and go home to make a list of the necessities we need this month and then see what items on sale met our needs. I also tried to find some coupons for additional savings, but didn't have much luck. I will share that we have budgeted $30 for all "necessities" which include toiletries, cleaners, paper products, etc. This budget overwhelmed me because, for instance, I usually purchase Pantene shampoo & conditioner. The conditioner can be up to $5.00 per bottle. And it would happen that this month is the month when a lot of these necessities are needing to be replaced.

So...here is what I purchased:

1. Frizzease Shampoo 10oz: $1.79
2. Tresemme Natural Conditioner 32oz: $1.39
3. Tresemme Root Boost Mousse 8oz: $1.29
4. St. Ives Body Wash 13.5oz: $1.69

Total with tax: $6.64

At the bottom of my receipt it said I saved $14.10. I consider this a win. We still have $23.36 in our budget this month for our other needs and I feel like this will be plenty and the shampoo and conditioner I bought tonight will get me through next month as well.

It is a small victory overall, but HUGE for me. I just took the time to walk around the store, make a list of what we actually NEED and go back with the list in hand and make my purchases. I will definitely do this again!

0 comments: